Subject: Environmental Audits
Moved By: The Rev. Kevin Arndt
from the Diocese of British Columbia
Seconded By: The Rt. Rev.
Peter Coffin from the Diocese of Ottawa
Note: The mover and the seconder must be members of the General Synod and be present in the House when the resolution is before the synod for debate.
BE IT RESOLVED:
That this General Synod
- Commend the work of the Environmental Commission of the Dioceses of British
Columbia and the Ecology and Theology Working Group of the Diocese of Ottawa,
and note with gratitude the resources produced by those taskforces, the
Footprint Files (British Columbia) and Renewing our Relationship
with the Earth (Ottawa)
- Commend these resources to the dioceses for wider circulation and study
in the Anglican Church of Canada.
- Request the EcoJustice Committee over the course of the 2004-2007 triennium
to encourage all dioceses to develop similar programs, which encourage environmental
audits and energy retrofits for all churches and church owned buildings
within their jurisdiction.
- Footprint Files: Ideas to help congregations care for Creation and
reduce their footprint, was developed by the Diocesan Environmental
Commission (DEC) of the Anglican Diocese of British Columbia, with contributions
form Susan Gage, Briony Penn, Cory Waters, and Peggy Wilmot. Beautifully
illustrated in binder format by Donald Gunn & Briony Penn of Penn and
Gunn Associates. Copyright 2002, 900 Vancouver St., Victoria, BC V8V 3V7.
Tel. (250) 386-7781. E-mail. email@example.com.
Each section of Footprint Files includes a background article, a
reflection, liturgy, story and activities, relating to these themes:
- Praise! Paying attention to Creation
- Being Outdoors – Feeling our connection to the web of Creation
- The Covenant – What does the Lord require of you?
- St. Francis – Living a life of simplicity and community
- Audit/God-it! – Environmental auditing for churches
- Back Home – Ideas to encourage church members to audit their
homes and lifestyles
- Day by Day – Ideas to help your parish maintain creation stewardship
- Resources – to help you learn more.
- Renewing our Relationship with the Earth: A Guide to what you and your
church can do, was prepared for the Ecology and Theology Working Group
of the Anglican Diocese of Ottawa by Kate Davies, October 2002. Copyright
2002, Incorporated Synod of the Anglican Diocese of Ottawa, 71 Bronson Avenue,
Ottawa, ON K1R 6G6. Website: http://ottawa.anglican.ca.
The sections of this resource are:
- Environmental Education and Awareness
- What you can do at Church
- What you can do at Home
- What you can do in the Garden
- Resources and Further Information
- Appendix A: Environmental Checklist
- Appendix B: The Ecology and Theology Working Group of the Anglican
Diocese of Ottawa
||(name of committee, diocese, etc.)
||Ms. Sue Winn, Chair