Subject: Blessing of Same
Moved By: Robert Falby from
the Diocese of Toronto
Note: The mover and the seconder must be members of the General Synod and be present in the House when the resolution is before the synod for debate.
BE IT RESOLVED:
Be it resolved that this General Synod:
- Affirm that, even in the face of deeply held convictions about whether the blessing of committed same sex unions is contrary to the doctrine and teaching of the Anglican Church of Canada, we recognize that through our baptism we are members one of another in Christ Jesus, and we commit ourselves to strive for that communion into which Christ continually calls us;
- Affirm the crucial value of continued respectful dialogue and study of biblical, theological, liturgical, pastoral, scientific, psychological and social aspects of human sexuality; and call upon all bishops, clergy and lay leaders to be instrumental in seeing that dialogue and study continue, intentionally involving gay and lesbian persons;
- Affirm the principle of respect for the way in which the dialogue and study may be taking place, or might take place, in indigenous and various other communities within our church in a manner consistent with their cultures and traditions;
- Affirm that the Anglican Church is a church for all the baptized and is committed to taking such actions as are necessary to maintain and serve our fellowship and unity in Christ, and request the House of Bishops to continue its work on the provision of adequate episcopal oversight and pastoral care for all, regardless of the perspective from which they view the blessing of committed same sex relationships; and
- Affirm the integrity and sanctity of committed adult same sex relationships.
MOTION TO DEFER
That Resolution A134 be amended by:
1) Deferring consideration of section 2 until the meeting of General Synod in 2007; and during the period of deferral:
Request that the Primate ask the Primate's Theological Commission to review, consider and report to the Council of General Synod, by its spring 2006 meeting, whether the blessing of committed same sex unions is a matter of doctrine;
That on receipt of such a report, the Council of General Synod distribute it to each province, diocese and the House of Bishops for consideration.
"The deferred section 2 reads "That this General Synod affirm the authority and jurisdiction of any diocesan synod, with the concurrence of its bishop, to authorize the blessing of committed same sex unions."
EXPLANATORY NOTE/BACKGROUND INFORMATION:
This resolution is the one that the Council of General Synod agreed to place
before the General Synod. It was formulated as a result of consideration of
the resolution proposed by the Faith Worship and Ministry Committee (FWM)
and its supporting documentation (See FWM Report to General Synod, particularly
Document 3. Both the wording and the ordering of the motion produced by CoGS
has changed from the FWM motion, nonetheless the explanation provided in the
FWM report will still provide helpful background). The Council of General
Synod Report (003) Appendix 11 provides information on further resources that
FWM believed might be helpful to members of General Synod as they prepare
for the discussion of this issue. Further resources, and translations of this
resolution into some other languages, will be available for members of General
of General Synod
||(name of committee, diocese, etc.)
||Jim Boyles, General